Monday 9 February 2015

The Right to Say No

There have been lots of discussion on Facebook and other forums of late about the right to refuse a dance, and whether you should have to give a reason for refusal.

Personally I would never refuse a dance unless I was totally pooped after a previous dance. And I would always say I would find them for a dance later, which I do.

Even people I don't particularly enjoy dancing with, I would never refuse.

Sometimes though, even with a valid reason, people can get offended. Just the other week I refused a dance as I was knackered and the lead looked at me like I shot a kitten right there in front of him. A reaction I think was uncalled for and led to me felling really bad.

As for people bringing up the questions, is it OK to refuse a dance and not give a reason, well here I have to disagree. Having asked someone to dance once (and I get very nervous asking for dances so it was quite a big deal for me) they just said no and walked off. The lack of a reason left me feeling like maybe it was because they had seen me dance and thought I was pants. As silly as that may sound, I know of others who may have been in a similar situation and had the same feeling as I.

Refusing a dance is fine, but a reason is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment