Thursday 26 February 2015

Sad Times

When I first moved to London I needed to find a place to dance, my local Jiveswing class in Southend that little too far.

I opted for Wild Times. It wasn't just convenient, it being around the corner from my work, but it was fairly priced and had a great reputation for being a great night and for having great teachers.

After one night at Wild Times run by Simon Selmon of London Swing Dance Society (LSDS) I was totally hooked an it's been my local class ever since.

So I can't say how gutted I am, both for the dance scene in London and for Simon, that after 25 years, Wild Times will be closing. I genuinely think I'll cry at the last one on 17th March!
Rocking my 'I Love Lindy' bag with some of the friends I've made through Wild Times

There are just too many dances in London it would appear, a double edged sword really; lots of dances to choose from but not enough dancers to go around to keep classes going.

I would be gutted to see more of these great, independent nights disappear. It's what keeps the scene so interesting and fun, the variety, which it looks like may be disappearing.

When Simon posted on Facebook that he'd be closing his doors, countless people commented that they are sad to see it going. With that I mind, I really hope all those who have learnt to dance, made friends, met partners, were majorly impressed by Simon's sideburns (there's a reason my friend and I call him Sideburns Selmon!) and just had an amazing time at Simon's night, turn up on the 17th to make sure the last Wild Times goes with a massive bang.

www.swingdanceuk.com/calendar/wild-times

No comments:

Post a Comment