Friday 19 February 2016

Leading the way

Having been dancing for five years this year (where did that go?!), I decided this year to set myself a dance goal; I want to learn how to lead.

If occasion arises I can sort of maneuver someone around the dance floor but not being great at it I tend to avoid doing so. A good friend of mine (usually a follow) is an amazing lead so I thought it was high time I lead the way.

Since the beginning of the year I've been doing a Swing Patrol class in Finsbury Park (and making new friends) as a lead and I'm loving it. And I must say, my eyes have been truly opened to how difficult leads have it. Having to think of moves, having to lead moves, it's so much pressure.


So far I'm really loving, and it helps that the two teachers, Tae and Roberto are pretty awesome. The one thing I'm struggling with is dancing with follows who don't relax so I'm finding it difficult to do swing outs for example.Any tips from leads there would be appreciated, I don't want to feel like I'm manhandling follows, and I'm sure they're not mad on that either.

I don't feel confident enough yet to ask people I don't know to dance with me leading, I think I need to have a few more lessons first. Sadly for the follows that know me, you may have to endure a dance while I learn to lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment