Monday 2 March 2015

A New Swing Thing

Last week I managed to get along to two nights I hadn't been to before.

Tuesday, I finally got the chance to see the fantastic London Dance Orchestra in action. One word: wow!

The London Dance Orchestra is an 11-piece band of musicians who are best at playing infectious and highly driven music to fuel dancers of all ages and tastes. The band comprises some of London’s hottest jazz talents  with the charismatic and honey‐toned singer Derane Obika fronting the band.

The band are so incredibly slick and sharp and my favourite thing was they played a host of songs you rarely hear live. Tracks live Nina Simone's See Line Woman, I found myself thinking 'why don't more bands cover this?!' And Derane has the most amazing voice (it's obviously what I think I sound like when I'm singing in the privacy of my own home), I found myself just as happy sitting and listening as dancing.

The London Dance Orchestra in action at the Scolt Head, Dalston

FYI, the aforementioned foot injury did mean I have to sit a few out, those who may have been worried, it seems to have sorted itself out!

The second night I attended was Swing Patrol's Swing Pit at the Corbet Place Bar and Lounge. This one I found to be a bit of a slow burner, but after an initial slow start the night did pick up and I had some great dances. Although, note to self for all future dance events where I decide to dress down, skinny jeans...not such a great idea. Not only was I boiling but leg movement was restricted.

This week is my birthday week (25 on Wednesday!) and as I'm having my mum come to stay dancing is off the menu. Next week however, I'm looking to head to Wilton's Music Hall on the Monday, and an old favourite, Passing Clouds on Wednesday.

Until next time....toodle pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment